Tuesday, January 11, 2011

These Three Remain, Faith Hope and Love.

That verse goes on to say. "But the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor. 13:13 NIV) Have you ever asked yourself why is love greater than faith(?), after all the Bible says about Abram -- “And he [Abram] believed in (trusted in, relied on, remained steadfast to) the Lord, and He counted it to him as righteousness (right standing with God)” (Gen. 15:6 Amplified Bible [AB]) Abram, before God changed his name to Abraham, was found righteous by Yahweh because Abram believed (had faith in) God and He counted it to him as righteousness. It doesn’t as Abram loved God and it was credited to him as righteousness. Sounds like faith should be the greatest of these three, its listed first, love is listed last! How many of us would hear God’s call and pack-up and leave, with little or no questions? Abram did, did he love God too, yea!

Didn’t Jesus call someone in a similar fashion? Here’s the account – “Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, ‘Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?’” (Mk 10:17 NKJV) “You know the commandments: . . . And he answered . . . ‘Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.’” (id. 10:19)

The New Living Translation (NLT) translates Jesus’ response a bit different than most other translations, but I like this translation. It says: “Jesus felt genuine love for this man as he looked at him. ‘You lack only one thing,’ he told him.”

For comparison -- Abram left Harran this way --  “The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.’ . . . So Abram went, as the LORD had told him and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.” [italics mine] (Gen. 12:1  & 4 NIV)

What did Jesus command the young man of Mark 10:17-24? “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”

What was the young man’s response? “But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.” (Mk 10:22 NIV)

23 Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, ‘How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!’ 24 And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, ‘Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.’
26 And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, ‘Who then can be saved?’” (id. 23-26)


It’s not that Jesus begrudged this young man his riches, for Abraham was rich “I am Abraham’s servant. The LORD has blessed my master abundantly, and he has become wealthy.” (Gen 24:34)

No -- money was not the issue with the rich young man – but, obedience was. We can assume that when God called Abram, he had some material possessions, and that he did not give those up. (see Gen. 12:5 NIV) But, he did totally give up, what was for those days I’m sure, a comfortable life in Harran where his father had settled, in unquestioned obedience to the LORD.

Would I respond unquestioningly? I’m a Gideon sort of man, he too was called by God -- “The LORD turned to him and said, ‘Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?’”  (Judges 6:14) 

What was Gideon’s response?

15 “‘Pardon me, my [sic. LORD],’ Gideon replied, [WHAT DID YOU SAY GOD? Come again, and WAIT a minute!] ‘but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.’
 16 The LORD answered, ‘I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.’” (Judges 6:15-16  CEV)
Did Gideon just get up and go like Abram(?) NO! Was he disobedient(?) it might seem so but what did he do(?)

17Gideon said, ‘It's hard to believe that I'm actually talking to the LORD. Please do something so I'll know that you really are the LORD.
    18And wait here until I bring you an offering.’ [italics mine]
   ‘All right, I'll wait,’ the LORD answered.
    19Gideon went home and killed a young goat, then started boiling the meat. Next, he opened a big sack of flour and made it into thin bread. When the meat was done, he put it in a basket and poured the broth into a clay cooking pot. He took the meat, the broth, and the bread and placed them under the big tree.” (Judges 6 CEV)
Why did Gideon do these things(?), because he loved the LORD. The angle of the LORD had Gideon place the offering on a rock, touched it with his walking stick, the offering was burned up and the angle was gone. What did Gideon say, it’s quite dramatic.
22Gideon realized that he had seen one of the LORD's angels.  ‘Oh!’ he moaned. ‘Now I'm going to die.’” (id. 6:22) This is such a descriptive translation, can’t you just see Gideon moaning “Oh” – I’m a dead man.

What did Yahweh say – “23 Calm down!’ the LORD told Gideon. ‘There's nothing to be afraid of. You're not going to die.’” (id. 6:23) Now isn’t this a great translation? God telling Gideon calm down, don’t be afraid, you’re not a dead man walking.

In response to this assurance of continued life “Gideon built an altar for worshiping the LORD and called it ‘The LORD Calms Our Fears.’” (id. 6:24) Did he now go out an obey the LORD, NO! “36-37Gideon prayed to God, ‘I know that you promised to help me rescue Israel, but I need proof. Tonight I'll put some wool on the stone floor of that threshing-place over there. If you really will help me rescue Israel, then tomorrow morning let there be dew on the wool, but let the stone floor be dry.’ And that’s just what happened.” (id. 6:36-38a) Still, Gideon did not obey the LORD. “39But Gideon prayed to God again. ‘Don't be angry at me,’ Gideon said. ‘Let me try this just one more time, so I'll really be sure you'll help me. Only this time, let the wool be dry and the stone floor be wet with dew.’
    40That night, God made the stone floor wet with dew, but he kept the wool dry.” (id. 6:38-40)
Can we question God and love Him? For sure, Abraham negotiated with GOD’s 50 righteous people to save Sodom and Gomorrah down to 10, in a number of exchanges back and forth, but he negotiated in a loving and respectful way, as did Gideon, as did Moses in Exodus.

We Christians want to think long and hard before we are outright disobedient to God, and when we negotiate, we are called to do it in love, not only with God, but with our neighbor too, even with our enemies. (Mt. 5:44)

As Christians we are called to do all thing to the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31) in love. (1 Cor. Chapter 13) “If I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.” (1 Cor. 13:2b) And, I’d add that I’d have nothing either, including true faith.

Agape’, Ric copyright 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment